E114: Become a better leader and run a stronger agency with Joana Galvão
Joana Galvão is the co-founder of Gif Design Studios, an award-winning design agency specialized in brand identities and conversion-obsessed design.
Based in Porto, Portugal, with a team of 7 designers and developers, Gif Design Studios offers the full range of print and digital design services to industry leaders in seventeen countries on five continents.
Joana speaks internationally on the power of design and creativity and her work has been featured in the Guardian UK, Brand Brilliance, and Digital Arts magazine.
- Learn the reason Joana attends conferences, and what she usually gets out of them.
- Learn the benefits of working in a European timezone.
- Learn Joana’s “3 H’s” of hiring a new team member, and how hiring the wrong team can really throw things off.
- Find out what happened when two employees stole from Joana, threatened her, and tried to steal a client. Hint—the client acted with more integrity than the employees.
- Find out how Joana stays away from micromanagement.
- Run time: 35:18
- Best advice ever received: I already have the answer within me.
- Habit that contributes to success: Long weekly walks without a phone.
- Recommended book: The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Recommended tools: iPad pro app Notability, or TheFutur on Youtube
- “We have the culture here that’s like, ‘Oh, my cousin can do it for free.’”
- “I send you something at night and when I wake up it’s done!”
- “Managing people is definitely where I’ve grown most as a person.”
- “I thought the smart thing was to hire people that were younger than me.”
- “They said, ‘Triple our salaries right now or we leave.’”
- “I learned a lot about my leadership.”
- Solicit feedback from your team. It might not be relevant, but it creates a safe space for content employees.
- Consider regular meetings with employees to check-in.