E142: How to work your way up to 50+ employees with Keith Scandone
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Keith Scandone is the Co-Founder and CEO of O3 World—a digital product agency with around 50 employees. He is also a Co-Founder and Co-organizer of the Forge Conference—a UX and product design event, and the business innovation event, 1682 Conference. He’s also on the Philadelphia Global Identity Council and has clients like Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania, Sunguard, and La Colombe.
- The number of employees an agency gets stuck at (it’s the same number that was mentioned in a recent episode!).
- How Keith gets the discovery process going, setting the team up for success “right out of the gate”.
- Things that Keith had to STOP doing to grow to 50 employees.
- Things that Keith had to START doing to grow to 50 employees.
- How Keith spends his evenings (HINT – it’s with his company’s growth in mind!).
- Why Keith doesn’t have a dedicated salesperson right now.
- Best advice received: Follow through with everyone you meet.
- Habit that contributes to success: Socializing
- Recommended tools: How I Built This podcast
- Recommended book: Brene Brown’s Daring Greatly
- Run time: 34:56
- “They bring us in as digital consultants.”
- “You have to have the right client base.”
- “I had to start passing some things off.”
- “Out of necessity, I had to start delegating things.”
- “It’s really hard to differentiate yourself. A lot of agencies sound the same.”
- “Here’s a proposal to do a proposal for you.”
- Consider offering recommendations to a company that you’d like to work with. You wouldn’t be competing with any other agencies on a pitch. (Help first!)