E166: Picking a niche you love and working it with Stephanie Hudson
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Stephanie Hudson has been building websites and marketing them since the late 90s. Equal parts geek and dreamer, her wide-ranging experience gives her the chops to understand complex tech, but also explain it simply for mere mortals. Stephanie brings enthusiasm, technical know-how, and corny jokes to every conversation. When not presenting on stage, crafting custom marketing strategies, or managing WordPress sites, you can find her relaxing fireside with a juicy IPA at her home in Charlotte, NC.
- All about the current state of affairs at Focus WP and Sweet Tea Marketing.
- Why Stephanie runs a lean shop.
- Why Stephanie picked breweries to work with specifically, and how she narrowed it down.
- All about competition to work with “cool” niches.
- How things have changed for Stephanie this year.
- Whether Stephanie could ever commit to one business or the other.
- Stephanie’s take on engaging with potential businesses during COVID—when you can’t just walk in to any business.
- Best advice ever received: Listen to your body.
- Habit that contributes to success: Being chatty.
- Recommended tools: LastPass
- Recommended book: Mike Michaelowicz and Donald Miller books
- Run time: 36:31
- The Year of Yes by Maria Headley
- Mike Parker episode on The Digital Agency Show
- Mike Michaelowicz
- Donald Miller books
- “I use only contractors…I’m very hesitant to cross that bridge!”
- “I haven’t been burned, I’ve just heard horror stories.”
- “When someone turns a hobby into a business, they’re not always the best business person.”
- “It’s not the right time to go knocking on doors.”
- “I’ve always had a side hustle.”
- “Proactive open-mindedness.”
- “We don’t always know what we want.”
- You’ll get a good picture of a niche if you have three clients within one.
- Try saying yes more! It may open up worthwhile opportunities.