E168: Masterful project management and how to avoid scope creep with Ben Aston
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Unlimited WordPress tasks for digital agencies at a fixed monthly cost with UnlimitedWP, get 25% your first month with code “das2020” (sponsored).
Ben Aston is a digital project manager and online entrepreneur. He’s the founder of Black and White Zebra, a media company on a mission to help people and organizations succeed. He’s also the founder of the largest and fastest-growing community of digital project managers called TheDigitalProjectManager.com, with over 500,000 visits per month and 4,000 members. He has more than 15 years of project management leadership experience.
- What makes a great project manager.
- Skills you must develop to be a successful project manager.
- On those two dreaded words…scope creep. What you should do in the midst of it, and how to avoid it.
- Project management tools—picking them, trying them, and how they’re different.
- How Ben’s path led him to where he is today.
- Best advice ever received: Don’t worry about what other people think.
- Habit that contributes to success: Being relentless and an initiator.
- Recommended tools: BigMarker for webinars
- Recommended book: The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Run time: 28:20
- The Digital Project Manager
- Membership for The Digital Project Manager
- The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- “Fundamentally I think it’s about really good communication.”
- “It begins with understanding the project lifecycle.”
- “It’s never too late to clarify.”
- “We train our clients that it’s ok to change your mind about things.”
- “Project management tools can look like a silver bullet.”
- “It was kind of sucking the life out of me.”
- “We could become better people at managing digital projects together.”
- Strategic upfront work sets you up for success in a project.
- Remember that every time you respond to a client you’re training them and setting expectations.