E188: Billion-dollar lessons for your digital agency with Ben Gabler
Get a real-time, visual view of your cash flow with Float (syncs with Xero and Quickbooks Online)(sponsored).
Add a new revenue stream by reselling a white-labeled marketing and sales platform your clients will love at IgniteYourAgency.com (sponsored).
Ben Gabler is the CEO & Founder of Rocket.net.
He has spent the majority of his career building and managing various hosting companies/platforms including HostNine, HostGator, GoDaddy, UK2Group, IX Web Hosting, and StackPath.
He was employee #10 at HostGator.com and helped build a foundation that would ultimately scale to a $100mm business.
He sold his first company in 2010 for 7 figures.
- How Ben went from delivering pizza to starting a hosting company.
- How Ben got excellent customer insight with the assistance of an old friend.
- What happens when call centers have quotas and are a major source of revenue.
- How to balance listening to customers with what you need to do.
- Lessons learned from big-business experience.
- Best advice: If your product’s perfect, you waited too long.
- Habit that contributes to success: Love for technology.
- Recommended tools: Slack and CNBC
- Recommended book: Obviously Awesome by April Dunford, Be Obsessed Or Be Average by Grant Cardone
- Run time: 33:49
- Obviously Awesome by April Dunford
- Be Obsessed Or Be Average by Grant Cardone
- “I would spend hours in the call center.”
- “I don’t know how to fix something if I don’t know the true pain points.”
- “I think that was part of the struggle.”
- “It sounds so simple—just go listen to your customers.”
- “ They didn’t know that a car was possible.”
- “You gotta listen to the customers.”
- “Growing pains exist because they’ve never had to deal with it before.”
- “It boils down to the people and the structure.”
- Balance listening to customers with your company mission.
- Strive for an enjoyable experience for both customers and employees.