E58: User experience and web magic with Paul Boag
Paul Boag is a User Experience Designer, Service Design Consultant and expert in digital transformation. He works with not-for-profits and businesses to improve their users’ digital experience. He has also helped many universities, large charities and enterprise-level businesses adapt to the changing needs of their digitally savvy audience. Join us to discuss user experience, knowing what you want out of your business, and the joys of letting go.
- The lessons Paul learned from the dot-com era.
- How Paul defines a lifestyle business.
- “What do you want out of your business?” How the answer to that question can help you make decisions.
- How to learn from user experience to improve your work. (Hint: he blew Brent’s mind!)
- Best advice he’s ever received: A quote from Winston Churchill, “Success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
- Habit that contributes to success: irrepressible enthusiasm
- Recommended book: Steve Krug Don’t Make Me Think and Rocket Surgery Made Easy, Undercover User Experience Design by Cennydd Bowles and James Box
- Recommended tools: Pipedrive.com
- Blog: ten lessons I learned from running a successful web design business
- David Allen’s Getting Things Done
- Steve Krug Don’t Make Me Think and Rocket Surgery Made Easy
- Undercover User Experience Design by Cennydd Bowles and James Box
- Slides: becoming a user experience agency
- Podcast: Boagworld.com/show – longest running web design show
- “You can’t live your life always for tomorrow in the hopes that there’s going to be this big payoff.”
- “If I can explain something to someone else, then I fully understand it myself.”
- ”If I could just take some of those rough edges off people’s lives, that makes me happy.”
- “Paul, how could I say no to you? It would be like kicking a puppy.”
- Do you know what you want out of your business? Take time to write it down.
- Review your discovery process and how it could improve, based on Paul’s process of creating a tangible product.