E80: When Clients Own You with Gary Henderson
Gary Henderson is the owner of both Interactivity Digital and DigitalMarketing.org – HubSpot’s 2017 Rookie Agency of the year. They’ve helped generate $250 million+ in revenue, and billed $7.5 million between 2013 and 2017. They’ve also worked with UGURUS to build our online marketing.
- What Gary has learned since starting from humble beginnings.
- How Gary got away from relying on one unpleasant client that represented 50% of their revenue.
- What cocktail sauce has to do with serving clients.
- Why performing too well can cause problems.
- Why you should consider a “sunset clause,” and how to pull one off.
- Why shrinking your client base can be wonderful—and help you achieve work/life balance.
- Best advice: Everyone needs a package and an easy way to buy it.
- Personal habit that contributes to success: Self discipline
- Internet resource or tool: AHrefs.com, Slack, Hubspot, and Zoom
- Book recommendation: The Win Without Pitching Manifesto by Blair Enns (and here’s our podcast with Blair)
- The Win Without Pitching Manifesto by Blair Enns
- UGURUS podcast with Blair
- “I kind went all in. It was everything.”
- “When I hit a certain number I could get my own office space.”
- “You either take the loss or we’ll find someone else to do the work for us.”
- “Don’t pay me to turn on your lightswitch for you.”
- “It’s a hurry up game.”
- “They need the results yesterday.”
- Do you have any clients that make up a majority of your revenue? Come up with a plan to change that.
- Consider the packages your agency sells to clients, and how you can streamline offerings.