E90: PR, demystified with Stefanie Jones
Stefanie Jones is President and founder of the 20-person PR agency, Feed Media. Her clients include The Ritz-Carlton, Taos Ski Valley, Microsoft SAP, and many others. She is based in Denver. After deciding to leave her corporate job, she had two major clients within 24 hours.
- What PR firms actually do—and how that benefits their clients.
- How the PR world has evolved in recent years.
- What a small agency did to land a major account: the Denver Broncos.
- What makes Stefanie’s business structure unique and flexible.
- Why Stefanie only hires people with 10+ years of agency experience.
- Best advice ever received: never lie
- Habit that contributes to success: intuition, understanding what people need
- Favorite tool: Google alerts – also for competitors
- Book recommendations: Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
- Run time: 47:33
- “I love the work, I love the hustle, I love the job.”
- “PR begets PR.”
- “Our job is to make you famous.”
- “We’re just hiring the best.”
- “Most people hire a PR firm the way they hire a lawyer.”
- “You should still take the meeting.”
- “I don’t want anything from you, but I’ll give something to you.”
- What can you do to make your business more profitable by-the-hour?
- Generosity: even if it feels like a waste of time, try taking a meeting you weren’t interested in. If you aren’t taking on new business, you can provide industry advice and possibly create a connection that will benefit you in the future. Of course, you can be a little selective with this new tactic!