E98: How to Ace Content Marketing Strategy with Ross Simmonds
We’re excited to announce that SEOMonitor has partnered with UGURUS as a sponsor of our show.
Ross Simmonds is a digital marketing strategist and entrepreneur who is passionate about technology, remote work, good people, and storytelling.
He’s the founder of Foundation Marketing, a content marketing agency that combines data and creativity to develop and serve ambitious brands. Foundation Marketing provides content marketing services to organizations all over the world ranging from some of the fastest growing startups & consumer products to global Fortune 500 brands.
Over the years, Ross has been published or featured in publications such as Forbes, Venture Beat, Huffington Post, Mashable, BET, CBC and more.
- What made Ross’s main focus on content marketing.
- The unique difference of Ross’s agency from other agencies in the market and why he does both servicing clients and also own and operate brands themselves.
- The management process for both servicing clients and operating brands.
- The structure, service, packaging, and overall revenue model for Ross’s agency.
- Some of the content strategies Ross and his team do for their clients.
- Other distribution channels for publishing content.
- Why content is more appealing today and why companies are so much more inclined to invest.
- Thoughts on ways for your content to be noticeable.
- Best advice he’s ever received: “Don’t be afraid.”
- Habit that contributes to success: Wired-in Wednesdays
- Recommended book: How Will You Measure Your Life by Clayton M. Christensen
- Recommended tool: KeyWords Everywhere plugin
- “You were in school and you start to kind of get distracted and your mom suggested that you should leave?”
- “Not only do we service clients and our brands that we work with as a client, we also create an incubate ideas and then bring them to life as our own and bring them to the market.”
- “I think that there’s also some value in being able to add value to clients by simply being a doer.”
- “Build, ship, learn, and decide.”
- “It’s key to embrace this idea of experimentation with everything that you do.”
- “We actually assist with the distribution of the content just as much as we do with the creation.”
- “We can’t underestimate the value of pay distribution, the inner world in a market where algorithms are changing so quickly.”
- “There’s never been an easier time to create content, but it’s never been a hundred times to get your content in front of the right people because it’s so noisy because there’s so many people creating content.”
- “I will say that when you think about your content, you should ask yourself, is it marketable? Is it principal? Is it likable? Is it shareable? Is it linkable?”
- Find email newsletters that are within your niche. Finding out who the editor is, who the owner of that newsletter is, and making sure that you’re getting your content on their radar so they can distribute it as well.
- Keep content consistent and relevant to the consumer and be there in the channels to gain their attention.
- Screen in comparison to any page on your website to be noticeable.
- Arm your sales team with content assets that keep them relevant on the top of mind when it comes to your clients.