E125: How to keep clients for 15+ years with Evelyn Powers
At the dawn of the desktop computer, after several years of working, Evelyn strategized being a stay-at-home mom while running a business out of her home—unheard of in the age of dial-up. She launched Design Powers in 1996.
She eventually shifted to digital design and co-founded a growing women entrepreneurs networking group, and later began co-hosting live radio.
- Here’s how things have changed for graphic design since the start of the internet and why Evelyn decided to pivot.
- There are a few major points that Evelyn believes you need to hit to keep long-term clients. Listen to how she makes it happen.
- Learn what happened when Evelyn started a women’s business group.
- Get more out of membership groups with this advice.
- Run time: 40:37
- Best advice ever received: You can do it all, just not at the same time.
- Habit that contributes to success: Running
- Recommended tools: Google Calendar and Binaural Beats and Tibetan bowls
- Recommended book: Un F* Yourself by Gary John Bishop and Workbook
- Awesome Women Entrepreneurs
- Podcast with Blair Enns
- Juana Molina “aural tapestries of thought-provoking music”
- DesignPowers.com Brand your biz – quick guide for branding your business personality
- Google Calendar
- Binaural Beats
- Un F* Yourself by Gary John Bishop and Workbook
- “We bought a house that we could afford on just (my husband’s) salary just in case my business didn’t succeed.”
- “You need to have some guts and take some risks.”
- “The biggest challenge was my confidence.”
- “I mean, what else is there?”
- “I’m always researching and seeing what others are doing.”
- “Always keep your eye on what’s going on.”
- “You do have to attend the meetings….it’s a matter of showing up.”
- Think about your timelines and appointments. Do you deliver on time?
- Take a self-audit. What can you do to improve reliability and consistency?