E171: How the pandemic has changed small businesses with Yelp’s Gary Kagan
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Gary Kagan is the Regional Director of Partner Sales at Yelp. He has personal experience in selling directly to SMB, Mid-Market, and Enterprise businesses.
As the first rep on the ground, he helped build the Channel sales segment from $0 to what is now a meaningful revenue line for Yelp. He now oversees teams and works with product, customer success, and operations to assist partners in successfully selling and optimizing Yelp’s products.
- Yelp’s view of how Covid has affected small businesses.
- How small businesses pivoted, and how some specific niches were hit.
- The difference between businesses that dropped marketing and businesses that doubled down on it.
- How Yelp advertising and the partnership program work for businesses.
- How you can combat negative reviews.
- How hotels can leverage restaurants for exposure.
- Best advice ever received: To listen and work to repeat it back.
- Habit that contributes to success: Default to action.
- Recommended tools: Audible
- Recommended book: The hard thing about hard things by Ben Horowitz
- Run time: 33:43
- Yelp Economic Report
- Profitable Digital Agencies FB group
- LinkedIn – Reach out for a free audit
- Partnership program
- The hard thing about hard things by Ben Horowitz
- “I saw people pivot very quickly.”
- “We’ve seen many partners change their business on a dime.”
- “We’ve seen traffic bounce back….to pre-covid times.”
- “The coasts are where we generally see a lot of traffic.”
- An estimated 55% of businesses that closed from quarantine are permanently closed.
- Businesses that work together can recommend each other on Yelp.