E170: Selling and managing an agile structure with Jeremy Jackson
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Jeremy Jackson’s passion lies in pairing excellent design and technology to create beautifully-crafted digital products. He has worked in product development, UX, graphic design, and development for the web since the mid-’90s and was Director of Technology at the innovative international digital product and design studio, Method.
In 2012, he founded Shift Lab, an NYC-based agency of design-minded technologists hell-bent on creating truly collaborative and iterative working relationships between designers and technologists. His clients have included Microsoft, Google, and Facebook.
- Why Jeremy thinks designers and developers butt heads.
- How Jeremy has created a collaborative agency that has grown to 20 people.
- Agile pods: what they are and what they do.
- Objections to not having a specific scope and how they’re handled.
- Which KPI’s Jeremy uses to keep track of his team.
- The secret to getting large clients like Google and Facebook.
- How to give bonuses to positions like developers.
- Best advice ever received: Bucking the concept that work isn’t supposed to be fun.
- Habit that contributes to success: Obsessiveness.
- Recommended tools: Jira
- Recommended book: Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice as much in Half the Time by Jeff Sutherland
- Run time: 33:50
- Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice as much in Half the Time by Jeff Sutherland
- “I had to figure out my own value in the company.”
- “What we’re selling is the process.”
- “We have missed some opportunities because we wouldn’t put a fixed price on something.”
- “Being okay with it isn’t something that I’ve just arrived at.”
- “The mindset was always: doing good work with good people.”
- Keeping a simple, positive mindset will help bolster the growth of your business and the happiness of your team.