E68: The power of finding your community and purpose with Paul Lacey
Unlimited WordPress tasks for digital agencies at a fixed monthly cost with UnlimitedWP, get 25% your first month with code “das2020” (sponsored).
Paul Lacey is a co-founder of the UK web agency The Dickiebirds Studio. They specialize in UX Design & WordPress design, development, and consulting. They do both direct client work and white-label agency partnership. Their clients include Jaguar, Land Rover, GeneratePress, Beaver Builder, and the Church of England.
- How The Dickiebirds made the transition from a white-label company to a full-service agency.
- Why Paul took a two-and-a half-year hiatus—and what that meant for the business and partnership.
- How Paul handled closing a big project—and then finding himself with an underestimated budget and so much work he was neglecting other clients.
- The unexpected benefit—and collaborative effect—of creating content.
- Best advice he’s ever received: from Kim Doyle – if it’s not fun, she’s not doing it (especially clients!)
- Habit that contributes to success: “a goonie never says die” (never give up)
- Recommended book: The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
- Recommended tool: Use Loom
- Dickie Birds
- Paul on Youtube
- Paul on Twitter
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
- Facebook groups: Beaver Builder, Agency Trailblazer, Generate Press
- “It wasn’t so much a decision, as kind of a reaction.”
- “We probably weren’t prepared for that (big) project.”
- “Spread thin like butter.”
- “This little business….is starting to destroy you.”
- How can you better connect with people in your industry? Try joining Facebook groups and local meetups, and always keep your eye open for opportunities to talk with others.